Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Endless Outlets


A few days ago, I was required to make not only a twitter but also a blog. In addition to even that, I was also required to make an avatar on Second Life and create and develop it throughout the next few months. All in one day. That’s three new online activities that I must now add to my daily routine. Ironically, I deactivated my Facebook last night in hopes of distancing myself form technology and the pull that all laptops and online social networks tend to have on a many number of individuals. I also have a flickr and three or four email addresses. I am also expected to check my phone constantly throughout the day, read varying newspapers or news sources such as the Daily Beast or New York Times in addition to a local source such as the Boston Globe. I find it almost necessary to keep a list with me at all times to keep track of what networks I have checked recently and which still require my attention.

I must keep up with these distractions consistently, day by day and can very potentially miss out on crucial opportunities or news through lack of attention to any of these accounts. At first, such a large number of accounts and requirements seems stressful and unnecessary. But as I thought more about it, every single one of these accounts helps me in some way to adapt to the world that is soon to engulf me: I am a journalist and I have chosen the path of non-stop observation. I must never stop observing, never stop acquiring information. It is my job to receive this information and present it to the public as such. I have the choice to display or use this information in whatever way I choose to but hopefully this way shall be the honest one.

I used to view twitter as something only gossipy teenagers and misinformed older individuals had. Now I view it as a business opportunity and career enhancer that could launch me into chances and jobs I never would have found or discovered otherwise. I just remembered, I also have a Tuenti, which is basically Facebook in Spanish. The accounts never stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment